Thursday, September 15, 2011

:Reflecting back on my sorority RUSH experience:

I've spent the last few weeks emerged in sorority RUSH conversations. It's been 19 years since I went through RUSH--and from what I have gathered the same emotions still apply to the girls going through the Recruitment process today.

I'll never forget walking into the auditorium, completely alone, where almost 1000 girls were seated. Sitting all by myself this girl, Lori, walked up to me and asked if she could sit by me. Our conversation wasn't deep but surrounded the topics of our tans and our summer vacations to Destin. We parted ways for the next week as we embarked upon the journey of "choosing" our "sisters".

I wasn't even sure if I wanted to be in a sorority--after all I had been free from the 3 sisters I have and was living a pretty plush life with my own bathroom, not sharing clothes, etc.

The process of selecting the right house was pretty simple, or so it seemed. I wouldn't be being completely honest if I didn't say that the selection was made easier as some houses didn't select me! Leaving me with fewer choices. I didn't have the most stellar grades, and coming from Arkansas I certainly didn't have many contacts in the houses on campus. I liked all my final choices, but I really LOVED the one I knew I wanted and put as my first choice.

Bid Day arrived and I'll never forget opening my bid card. UHHHHH, what the heck? I didn't get my first choice. The awkward thing was I was fighting off tears of rejection and here comes a group of screaming girls welcoming you into their "sisterhood". How could this be happening? I get what I want! Don't they know who I am? We were immediately ushered off to some off campus party and instantly lined up with the other 52 girls who were going to be your long lost best friends. I surveyed the room and remember the ecstatic look on some girls faces, and then I could sense the disappointment in a few other girls.

I snuck off to a pay phone and called my parents. I told them what was going on and that I didn't think I wanted to do this whole sorority thing. I can't remember the details of the conversation, but let's just say I was going to do the whole sorority thing! =)

After I hung up the phone, I heard someone calling my name. It was Lori. I'll fill in the gap of the last 19 years another day, but needless to say it has been an incredible journey of a friendship. We lived in the house together for 3 years, and after college for a short while, and even in the last few years when I was going through a "transition". Her parents are like my parents and her children are SOOO dear to me. We have seen eachother through the most amazing times and encouraged each other through some very difficult trials.

Recently we were reflecting back on our RUSH experience and I shared how I was soo disappointed how I got my second choice, but I saw how God really knew that my second choice was the best choice! I can't imagine not having "Lori" in my life! To this day I keep in touch with many of my sorority sisters. I've been blessed to be in many of their weddings. I've been present when their babies were born. We've traveled all over the world together. We have mourned together as we lost some long before it was their time. We have even helped each other grow our businesses. I can't imagine not having gotten my second choice. They really were perfect for ME!

My hope for each girl going through RUSH this Fall would be that you not be soo hung up on a certain house. Everything will fall into place. Trust me. All things really do work together for good!

Love, Lark

1 comment: